Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Aging is for the Aged

I was out today for a short 5 mile run along the East River.  Summer in NYC has been pretty mild until now.  Last week it was brutally hot and humid but I kept up with my training program, running outside v. on the dreadmill.  I don't normally want to talk about my running or training because it's just that personal thing that I have gotten into late in life.  I have met people that just want to compete and brag about their accomplishments, which is unimpressive and bothersome for someone who is 20+ their senior.  I am the wrong person to compete with, I'm almost 50, afterall!!

I have been going through peri-menopause, and now I think full on menopause.  Who talks about that? Not very many, I haven't found anyone who discusses women running through the last change of life.  So I thought if I can't find someone who is writing or talking about it, I would blog about it.  A quiet documentation of the frustrations and the private summers that make it almost impossible to keep the motivation that I had, say, LAST year.

So there I was this morning, running at a very slow pace, pouring in sweat, trying to figure out if it was really that hot today or was it another hot flash.  I was so in my head since my headphones weren't staying on so I was running in silence, just my heavy breathing, started to question if anyone else is going through this hell on earth???  I guess women just don't talk about any of this, especially if they are competitive by nature, what? Aging? Slowing down? Not so fast, no stamina, no drive, just want to sleep, not me!! I have no problem bitching about it, it's so frustrating.  In my head I decided I would start to blog about it, hoping that it would work as therapy and I would just get over it.  GET OVER IT!

Don't think that anyone will be following my whole aging experience, but if you love to run, inside, out and are "middle aged" as I am, I hope that this helps. You aren't alone, I am right there with you!  I feel alone in this private summer but I know you are out there somewhere in the vast crazy world!

No comments:

Post a Comment