Monday, September 5, 2011

20 Miles

Saturday, another long run was scheduled. 20 miles. I was nervous, anxious but headed out, without giving it much thought (lies).  Had a frozen waffle with peanutbutter, in hopes that I would have no GI issues.  It was about 7:45 a.m. or so.  The temperature was pleasant, I had three gels, gellies and water on my back.  Off I went.  I had planned to go to the Williamsburg Bridge to the Manhattan and over to the Brooklyn Bridge and then back to the Williamsburg, up the east river and home.  Somehow that is not where I ended up going.

I started going north on 2nd Avenue until 90th Street, I ventured further east to the Shultz Park to the east river bike path to the very end which was 125th Street.  I decided that running west on 125th Street would be too pedestrian crowded so went to 126th and headed west.  What a nice neighborhood, gorgeous brownstones, quiet area, crossed Amsterdam and the neighborhood continued to improve.  I hit the westside bike path and decided to go further north since I was only at 8 miles.  The running was good, no real need to stop.  Felt my belly talking so decided to stop and sure enough, the GI stuff started because I had just taken a gel.  No more pasta before running, definitely on a carb overload.  Chatted with a parks person and continued my way to the George Washington Bridge.  I hit my 10 mile mark then but decided to go further north along the Cross Island.  Gorgeous, hilly but when my garmin hit 11, I thought better of going further.


Slowly I needed more fuel and hydration but was running out.  Stopped and rested, stretched a few times as I made my way south then east to home.  I was depleted but still clear in the head, somewhat.  20 miles is a long distance and so many people exceed that. Hard to believe but i guess I will know what it's like on November 6.

The best thing about running through New York is the different neighborhoods, architecture, people.  I have to say that I am relieved to see that a lot of the history has been preserved, but not necessarily, as much as I would like to see.  The area along the Hudson is amazingly beautiful, away from traffic, peaceful. I don't really understand why the East River isn't as respected. 

M&Ms don't do well in my belly.  Am making "gravy", LOL, sauce.  "Oh, I'm Italian."  No, you are American and just so jaded by thinking you are "Italian," okay, of Italian heritage.  I can say "I am Japanese," and most "whites, Latinos and African BLACKS" would say.."yeah, you are"...Stupid ignorant racists, no, I'm American.  I can't go to Japan and feel like I belong.  I am Japanese by heritage but shamefully, American and stupid.

I am sick of being "American."

No comments:

Post a Comment