Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back from the Beach

Long weekend out at the Pines.  Maria wanted to do a Fire Island share this summer so off we go for three weeks, mini share.  The weather was much better than the first week were were there, not as humid, not many green flies, but of course, I got bit up by ONE lone fly!  The puppies had a great time racing all over the beach, off leash, as well as rolling in a dead seagull.  This resulted in swarms of flies landing on them, having to give them both a hose bath, all so the flies could swarm me and bite my legs a bit more.  Even on my forehead, I have four bites.  Why am I so appealing to insects?  Anyway, it was a good weekend with better weather.

Headed out early on Saturday morning for a 14 mile run.  Hip pain and foot pain made the run extremely difficult and around and around the Pines is not fun at all.  I had to stop at the house at mile 9 to use the restroom, I think the Hammer gels mess with my belly. Too much sugar or something.  I realize now that the hip pain is from the Asics I walk around the city, etc. on. Not good.  Gotta toss those.  The heat was annoying, not sleeping great, eating right, another problem with these long runs out there.  I did a 13.83 run in omg, i think it was over 3 hours. Pathetic.  The humidity and heat were not the best, but not the worse, at all.  Sunday morning's run went much better.  It was pouring rain, 5 miles, were easy.  The rain was awesome, now my favorite thing to run in. Perfect temperature, altho wet as hell, but I was not alone out there.  Not rush, but finished in less than an hour.  Monday was a welcomed day off.  Lounged on the beach, fought the flies and then by the pool  Most of the house left so it was quiet, the puppies were tired and I started reading Sarah's Key.  Tuesday was a 3 miles run.  I decided to try running on the beach.  People make it look so easy. What a challenge.  My right leg seemed to be favored so the hip hurt as I was running on a slant but I corrected myself and ran on flatter sand and it was slow, but steady.  I worked up an intense sweat, dripping like never before...flashes or what? No clue.  No pain or anything from straining on the sand.  Didn't feel like much of a run, which I was happy about.

Now I'm back in the city, my alarm didn't go off this morning.  So am in the Wednesday quandry of going to the social run or skipping it and just running alone after work. I am choosing the latter since last week was so taxing and the heat is up now.  Heading to the park and then running around the bridal path and heading home is just too late for me after being away. I'm tired. Adjusting to being back in the city sucks.  What's wrong with these damn bridge and tunnel trifling assholes...they walk 5 people abreast so I can step into traffic to get to work?  They just don't give a shit.  Car culturists....don't know how to be a pedistrian.  I get such ped rage, if I only had a baseball bat.  BAM...the cars from Jersey, no sense of STOPPING at the crosswalk.  The cabbies are rude and nasty, no stopping.  Block the box your trashy Jersey shits.  I want to smash windshields.  Not a good way to start the morning, AT ALL.

So the holocaust.  I am tired of all of it HOWEVER, reading Sarah's Key, I can't stop reading it.  The vantage point for a child in Paris. Paris.  Unbelieveable.  The confusion of why Jews, or she was dirty, hated, scorned, the not understanding, the trust, the hope, the fear.  And the American woman married to a French man, looking for answers, researching for an article about the roundup in one Parisian neighborhood.  The woman is kind of lame for being in such a messed up relationship but whatever, I likethe parallel stories, past and present.  It is hard to imagine genocide.  I guess what makes me sick of hearing about WW2 is that genocide is going on today and I don't hear about any Jewish group trying to intervene or help muslim groups in Africa.  Maybe it's my ignorance, but I feel that if you want to world to feel your pain, you wouldn't want anyone else in the world the experience it either.  And to hear about WW2 over and over again, i want to hear about the present since no one can forget the holocaust victims, remember the present victims.  I'm just saying.  What about the internment and the AMERICANS who were imprisioned in their own country, losing everything that they had worked hard for.  Not to forget the small traversties of war, the atomic bomb victims.  It's not be compared to the Holocaust or to dismiss any part of that tragic and horrific happening.

I don't know, the Japanese were ruthless and barbaric during the war.  Shameful. Will the world every learn the lesson that war just doesn't solve much of anything. No winners on any spectrum of the concept of war.  Just a lot of loss on both sides, a lot of ill feelings, hatred, anger, resentment.  It is a vicious cycle of hate, killing, sadness.  And the cost is unbelieveable.  I am sick of all of the anger.  I am sick of having to pay for someone else's need for war.  I am sick of hearing about the senseless deaths, the sorrow, the need to "win."  The US government sucks.  I suck too.  I sit and bitch, am silent, watching, not contributing, not willing to socialize and just be stupid anymore.  But not bitter about life in general, not throwing out facts or information in order to "educate." Educate who?  Most people don't care to know.  I don't care to know, but how do you avoid this crap, it's everywhere?! 

I have this need to run, run through aging, run through all the unnecessary killing, starvation, dying planet.  I run because it's clean, it's green...it's zen.

No comments:

Post a Comment