Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Idiots, You Know who YOU are!

Back at work, in the office, climate control.  Ran 3.5 today, walked the last .25 since the training day was calling for 3 miles and I went a little bit longer.  I already had an old lady moment, bought a pack of gum and forgot it at the kiosk.  Fuck it, I shouldn't be chewing gum anyway.  Shit, damn, duhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I just ran out of the apartment today with nothing but my key.  That's a first, usually have to overthink the outside run.  Music, no music, heart rate monitor? Water? I didn't want to overthink a short run, sick of overthink, so strapped on my watch and took off.

Racists are rampant in NYC.  I have never heard such racist comments, stereotypical references.  Ignorance is everywhere in the air.  Who cares if the air is polluted to run in, it's polluted with such bullshit.  A coworker was describing a guy she had met, a native Brooklynite but he sounded like a Native American.  It was obvious that she had no clue what the term "native American" references.  I was confused but should have known that this girl isn't so bright, a racist, homophobe..that what she meant to say was that he didn't sound like a native New Yorker, maybe a midwesterner or west coast valley dude.  Other coworkers assume since I am Asian, that I can relate to their Chinese dinner or anything Chinese because we are all the same.  And they walk around as if they are native Italians, when they are actually Italian Americans, but American all the same.  So superior and Italian by association, expert on Ragu and tasteless sauces and boxed pastas, such as Ronzini.  Jews so self righteous and proud but just as ignorant as the next.  National pride?  I thought segregation was over? It seems like we are reverting backwards, my childhood is haunting me.

Okay running the last mile or so long the East River.  I don't know if it's the sign of the times but the walkway along the river going/coming from 23rd Street is cardboard city.  It's a red brick path, benches and trees, not a wide walkway, nicely kept.  Well now under the trees are the homeless who appear to be so out of it.  Appears to me that they are so high, stoned, dirty but just chilling by the river, slowly waking up as the running/biking crowd starts to really pick up. I assume that the economy and unemployment has escalated the homeless population.  I noticed that the young runners looking over at them in disgust and fear.  Fear.  I dunno, these people appeared to be so strung out. Used to be one of two pairs along this path, but today it was every small tree had two people sleeping under it.  The benches were occupied by the homeless, as well, but the more "seasoned" homeless.  I look at myself running, no ipod..just a fancy watch but all this dri-fit clothing...sad. I should just run in cotton, cheap shoes...I feel excessive when I see so many without altho I wouldn't be surprised if the young new homeless come from privilege.

I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment