Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Here we GO again!

Running on the treadmill this morning, not fun.  I was tired, getting over some GI issues from the day before, just not feeling it.  I was going slow as possible, tried so hard to do at least a 6.5 instead of a 7.0.  What a struggle, then a hot flash rushes through my body.  It is such an annoying feeling, the heat rushing up to your head and I am there chatting with Jon trying to play it off.  I just wanted to quit and call it a day.  I went on and did my 4 mile "easy" which was far from easy.  I think that's what happens, activity that was so simple and easy now is hard and a struggle.  The challenges of running through menopause, it is not fun.  If I could just sleep at night, that would really be an improvement.

This past weekend in Vermont, I did my first 16 miles.  Of course, not straight running because I can't imagine doing that on my own.  Running to Middlebury is only two miles, over to the college and the track.  Ran around the track for another 2 miles and then GI issues.  Luckily the Art Center is always open, which was right there...then ran to the cemetary across the street, don't really know what the point of going to the gravesite of my father is really.  I went anyway then ran through town and down to Route 7 South, but that was only 6 miles total.  Endless, just endless. Listened to some podcasts.  The best for running (for me) are: (1) Two Gomers Run a Marathon, (2) Marathon Academy, (3) Running with the Pack.  Sometimes I can run to Gay USA, Fat2Fit, Phedip, The Extra Mile but those mentioned first are my favorite to run to.  The Two Gomers are just so funny and really take my mind off of the actually running, too bad they are done for the summer.  The summer update was an awesome hour!!!  I get it, they walk if they have to, have code brown moments, do stupid things, which I LOVE.

I know that it's time to test gels, energy bars, drinks, etc.  My friend suggested NUUN tablets for my water supply.  I like the taste and it does nothing to my belly so am happy with HOWEVER I have been reading that with gels and other energy supplements, plain water is the best choice of beverage to wash them down.  So on this run, I used water sans the nuun, prepared some Hammer Recoverite to consume as soon as I got back and took power bar gels.  Thus far: (1) Chocolate is like pudding, love it; (2) Double Latte is very tasty; the worse so far is the Green Apple.  Yuck, Icky Poo Poo!!!!  It stung going down, grotesque, foul; almost impossible to palate!  Hammer gels KILL my belly, never fails.  The consistency is gross, too thick, sweet and sticky.  I tried some sports beans...BIG mistake, belly ache!  Just too sugary, not necessary.  I tried the Stinger energy gummies, not a good choice, once again.  So far the power bar gummies have no effect on my stomach.  Also the Stinger waffles are great.  Such a learning curve, hoping that after ingesting these different gels and gummies, that the rest room is in the horizon or that I am close to home.  Oh btw, the recoverite was fine, I don't even know how I would feel otherwise.  No aches, no pains, felt great after the fun and soaking in Scout's kiddie pool.  Freezing freezing water, my feet ached from the cold water!

Monday was a rest day and the drive back.  Quiznos is what did it to me.

Yesterday's run was most unpleasant.  On one hand it was great to run with my neighbor, who is much faster and more experienced, but nice that he wanted to run together.  I had been on the fence.  5:30 a.m. is now dark, makes me a bit apprehensive plus my belly was feeling odd.  The day before I had a belly ache from, most likely, Quiznos on the road.  So I was opting for the gym but I had a 5 mile run to do and thought it would be painful on the treadmill although close to a rest room.  Sad, that all these things have to be taken into consideration but who wants to have GI issues on the big day? Not me, but I will, I am so sure of that!!!  Anyway, my neighbor intercepted me and I decided that I could chance it.  He runs considerably faster than I do but he paced a bit slower. It was a lot of huffing and puffing  but it was great to push myself a bit.  He left and I continued on but I could feel my belly boiling over.  The restrooms along the east river were yet to be opened, I thought I would have to go behind a tree.  I walked, I hoped for the best...I ran again.  I had to walk the last mile, the belly was really about to explode all over Manhattan! 

My stomach was not it's best the entire day.  Draining me of all energy.  A bit better today but still kind of gurgling along.  I ran today and things were fine at the gym.  It was not a pleasant run, I assume residuals of the day before.  Tomorrow a 5 mile Yasso run is scheduled. I really don't care about speed, but I guess I have to challenge my body so I can endure 26.2.  Saturday is 18 miles but have a 5K and then Hurricane Irene is suppose to hit land by Sunday, the bitch.  Hampers running 18 on Sunday so should I just do the 5K and the continue on another 15 miles?  Hot and humid weather?  Great.  This whole training for a marathon is for the crazies.  I guess at the time I was crazy...but now that I have returned to sanity, I want to stop.

I am not a quitter...at least not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment